After reading in Ko – that online teaching is not about the technology as much as it is about the teaching. I must clarify why my blog is called “Techy Nurse Professor”. Healthcare is becoming increasing dependent on technology. I like to support the nursing students who are looking at the technology for medication, disease management and patient education information. There are apps for the smartphone technology, from the CDC, FDA, AHRQ, DHHS, pharamecutical companies – this information is updated regularly and in many cases more current than all the clunky nursing manuals from my early years as a nurse. It was so common for nurses, interns and doctors to have lab coat pockets loaded with expensive manuals and disease management guides. We spent a lot of money on those guides, waited patiently for the mailed updates. Today this information is updated with a touch of the screen on my iPhone. In addition, we are looking to begin monitoring our patients with this same technology, telehealth, telemedicine and telnursing is looming over our heads to reach the underserved populations – and this technology is part of that initiative. We must encourage the young nurses to embrace this technology and more. Telemetry, and other monitoring apps are available. Not fully but coming to you as well.
To rebuild my newly converted online course to be student centered and increase learner engagement
1. Use the pedagogical design template offered in POT to begin the rebuild of my online course.
2. Use the Design Elements template offered in POT to rebuild each weekly module.
3. Creating Forum Discussions for this course that will encourage the students to access the web for professional nursing literature to support their response and engage them in evidence based nursing practice content.
4. Create an online team / collaborative assignment that will also engage the student in the web and the process of working in a team.
5. Create a combination of lecture and student centered learning activities.
Live Link S481 Welcome Message
1. The Questionnaire – I scored a 16 which indicates I prefer presentation. I am not sure that I really prefer presentation in pedagogy – I entered the environment and this is what everyone else was doing. I also feel this is sort of what was expected of me as a new Lecturer. Finally this is what the students were familiar with. Sit in class and I Lecture and they listen and surf facebook – until I ask a question – to get the usual response – blank stares.
I was awarded a small grant to redesign my Nursing Management and Leadership course for Online Delivery. I have done that using the Sakai Oncourse LMS. I want to move towards a combination of Lecture / Discussion workgroup for this online course. I have slowly redesigned my course from a full powerpoint lecture, quiz exam presentation in 2007. In 2008 I began to use the Oncourse learning modules – at that time I did not know how to do anything but post a lot of verbiage. Today I have created some screencast lectures, incorporated lectures materials from other faculty and universities, and educational videos from the web. Currently (my class is now live) I am using softchalk to create several tutorial quiz.
2. Getting started: I took an online Moodle Course which helped me to determine some things I would like to do in my onlline course. But at the time I did not know how to connect these things to Sakai / Oncourse. But now I know I really prefer a combination of lecture and discussion group work for my course. Oncourse has modules and I am learning how to construct a module using various web 2.0 tools such as screencast, and jing.
3. Pedagogical Design – I just learned a tremendous amount about how to construct the module based on the course objectives which are listed on my syllabus. The modules I have currently are based on 16 concepts in Nursing Management and Leadership.
POT is awesome already
Thanks so much
My name is Evalyn Gossett, I teach Nursing at Indiana University Northwest. I am interested in instructional design and online teaching. The course I teach – Nursing Management and Leadership went live online for the first time this semester. I was awarded a small grant to redesign the course in our LMS – Oncourse. I am learning so much about how to do things in that respect. I look forward to this course. If I can get this blog correct. I do not like the blog system in our LMS but WordPress seems to utilize skills I already have developed.
Need to get on track with this. and give post the correct tag – potcert
Joining the POT
My name is Evalyn Gossett, I teach Nursing Management and Leadership for Senior Nursing students at Indiana University Northwest, in Gary, IN. I have been teaching here at IU- Northwest since 2007 but this will be the first semester that I will teach this course Online. Our campus uses the Sakai LMS system called Oncourse. My blog will be maintained on WordPress which will also be a learning experience for me as well.
During my nursing career I have been most fortunate to be an Army Nurses Corp Officer, an entrepreneur (magazine – owner, publisher and editor – in – chief), TV show producer, nurse educator and nurse researcher to name a few roles I have held.
Today, I am a nurse educator, and learning to design and teach nursing management online. In essence I am a Techy Nurse Professor transforming basic information and technology to inspire and motivate nursing students.